Alzheimer’s San Diego counts on events like Rides4ALZ to keep our services free. But we know it can feel a little awkward – or even intimidating – to ask friends and family to donate. To help, we’ve put together this list of easy fundraising tips that are proven to make a difference.
- Customize your personal page. Here’s a convenient how-to guide. Upload some pictures and share why you’ll be part of Rides4ALZ 2020. What make you such a passionate Alzheimer’s advocate? People will love getting to know more about your connection to the cause.
- Send out emails. We’ve created email templates for you in the Participant Center of the Rides website that you can copy and paste. With just a few clicks, you can make an appeal to your friends and family to donate.
- Donate to your page. An easy way to kick off your fundraising is to donate to yourself. Every dollar helps, and it shows you’re committed to the cause.
- Build a team. For the first time, Riders are now able to create a team and invite others to join. Reach out to some fellow bikers and encourage them to ride with you. This can build excitement for the actual Ride, and help you raise money together.
- Make a list. Sit down and make a list of people you’d want to reach out to ask for a donation. There’s no need to bombard your entire address book. Keep in mind that email is not the only tool. You can also give a family member or friend a call and share why you this cause is important to you.
- Get social. Spread the word about the Ride within your personal social media networks like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Let them know why you’re passionate about Rides4ALZ and post a link to your personal page. This is a time-efficient way you can reach out to a lot of people at one time. Click here for our useful Social Media Toolkit >>
- Ask about matching gifts. Find out if your employer will match your donations. Many companies will match gifts that their employees make! Encourage those who have donated to your page to ask their employers, too. You never know until you ask…
- Remember snail mail. Not everyone is comfortable making a donation online. Donations are absolutely accepted via mail! Simply share this offline donation form and ask that the completed form and check (if applicable) are mailed to: Alzheimer’s San Diego, 6632 Convoy Court, San Diego, CA 92111. Make sure any checks are made out to Alzheimer’s San Diego.
- Send out updates. Sharing your milestones will keep people engaged in your efforts. Send out a video or a message to show how much money you have raised and how far you are from your goal.
- Say thank you. This is a truly powerful tool. Taking the time to write a handwritten thank you note will mean a lot to those who support you, and shows them how much you appreciate them.
Thank YOU for reading this and for your commitment to helping San Diegans living with dementia. Together, we can make a difference!
Have a question? Contact the Rides4ALZ Hotline by calling 858.966.3319 or emailing Rides4ALZ@alzsd.org.