ALZ Companion Intern Karla, right, spending time with Jean, left.
Looking for a new internship? Serving as an ALZ Companion is a rewarding opportunity.
Alzheimer’s San Diego is looking for compassionate individuals to spend a few hours each week with someone with dementia. You can pass the time by talking, reading, or simply being their friend. Your weekly visit will give family caregivers a much-needed break!
ALZ Companion interns do not help with any physical or personal care, and no experience is required. We will provide you with specialized training and will carefully match you with a family that fits your location, personality and strengths. This is an unpaid position.
- Be a companion to an individual living with dementia
- Attend education classes
- Help with a social activity
- Work on research or another project
- Submit thoughtful visit reflections/reports throughout course of internship
- Receive a certificate of completion; may receive a letter of recommendation
Skills & Qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Caring, patient and compassionate
- Ability to respond to an emergency situation without panic
- Experience working with persons with dementia a plus, but not required
To apply, click the button below or contact Adrianna McCollum, Director of Volunteer Programs, at 858-966-3296 or firstname.lastname@example.org.