In response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, we are now offering virtual support & discussion groups! The virtual groups will be held using Zoom, and participation is free and easy. While a selection of our in-person groups are available now, we are working to move more online – your group leader will keep you updated throughout this process. If you have any questions or are interested in joining a group, please contact Ellen Boucher, at email@example.com or 858.966.3305.
Virtual Support & Discussion Groups
- Adult Children Caregivers: 2nd & 4th Wednesdays, 6-7:30 PM
- Men’s Support Group: 2nd & 4th Wednesdays, 10 AM-12 PM
- Grief and Bereavement Group: 1st Tuesday, 1-2:30 PM
- Young Onset Caregivers: 1st Thursday, 10:30 AM-12 PM
- Lewy Body & Frontotemporal Dementia Caregivers: 1st Wednesday, 2-3:30 PM
- Alzheimer’s San Diego Wednesday Morning Group: 1st & 3rd Wednesdays, 10 AM-12 PM
- Alzheimer’s San Diego Saturday Morning Group: 2nd Saturday, 10:30 AM-12 PM
- Point Loma Peninsula Shepherd Group: 1st & 3rd Thursdays, 1:30-3 PM
- La Jolla United Methodist Group: 3rd Wednesday, 1:30-3 PM
- Chula Vista Group: 1st & 3rd Saturdays, 1-2:30 PM
- La Mesa Herrick Group: 1st & 3rd Tuesdays, 5:30-7:30 PM
- La Mesa St. Luke’s Group: 1st & 3rd Saturdays, 9:30-11 AM
- Santee Caregiver Group: 2nd & 4th Thursdays, 10-11:30 AM
- San Carlos United Methodist Church: 1st & 3rd Tuesdays, 10 AM-12 PM
- Escondido (Park Ave) Caregiver Group: 2nd & 4th Mondays, 10-11:30 AM
- Rancho Bernardo Group: 2nd & 4th Tuesdays, 1-2:30 PM
- San Marcos Group: Every Tuesday, 10 AM-12 PM
- Vista Gardens Memory Care Group: 1st & 3rd Thursdays, 1:30-3:30 PM
- Carlsbad Tri-City Group: 1st & 3rd Thursdays, 4:30-6 PM
- Encinitas Caregiver Group: 2nd & 4th Wednesdays, 10 AM-12 PM
- Oceanside Caregiver Group: 1st & 3rd Tuesdays, 1-2:30 PM
- Carlsbad at ActivCare Bressi Ranch: 2nd Tuesday, 10:30 AM-12 PM
Sabre Springs at Belmont Village: 1st & 3rd Wednesdays, 6:30-8:00 PM
- Care Facility, Care Partner Group: Begins July 23rd, Every 2nd & 4th Thursday, 10-11:30 AM
About Zoom: Zoom is a simple online meeting program that will allow you to view and listen to the program from any computer with an internet connection. You will also be able to submit questions via an online chat function. You do not need to register or set up an account, but we do recommend logging on a few minutes early to download the required video launcher and test your audio connection. Click here for a short video about Zoom, and how to join a meeting. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 858.492.4400.
Alzheimer’s San Diego provides free Support & Discussion Groups across San Diego County, in English, Spanish and Korean. These groups can be a lifeline for many families affected by Alzheimer’s and other dementias. They allow them to connect with other people going through the same daily struggles – and to learn from each other’s experiences. Each meeting is kept small, with usually no more than 15 people. During this time, caregivers will learn coping techniques for everyday situations, resources to take advantage of and what to expect throughout the progression of the disease in a compassionate and safe environment.
What can I expect during a Support & Discussion Group?
A typical group starts with introductions and any updates or announcements. A group may then follow up with issues from the previous meeting, answer questions, provide educational information or allow an open format for discussion. Everyone interested in sharing or asking questions of the group will be able to do so.
Before joining a group, we highly recommend you call Ellen Boucher at 858.966.3305. This gives you an opportunity to confirm the meeting, ask questions, and to be sure the group is right for you.
Become a Support & Discussion Group Leader
Interested in becoming a Support & Discussion Group Leader? Alzheimer’s San Diego provides training, materials and ongoing support for those interested in leading a support & discussion group in their community. Call Ellen Boucher at 858.966.3305 for more information.